We took a field trip on Monday to a local park to do some Bird Ecology activities with the instructors of the park. One of my four focus students ended up deciding to attend with us at the last minute. I was very excited and enthused to see how she did on the trip and how involved she would get with the content.
Well....I got my hopes up. Not only did she seem extremely bored, she also got in trouble with one of the instructors because she wasn't paying attention during the introduction of one of the activities. It was very disheartening for me to see that she was interested and not enjoying her time outside, away from the classroom.
I have noticed, this year, that my students do not enjoy field trips as much if they have to do work while they are there. They would much rather have a free to roam around a museum than to do fun activities outside.
This was the second field trip we had taken for my class. For both of my field trips, students had work to do and/or activities to participate in. Compared to the other two field trips we took during the year, they seemed to not enjoy mine as much as others.
I guess, I am not going to reach every student with every activity I plan.
No comments:
Post a Comment