Thursday, March 15, 2012

Low Level Reading

My students had an open note test today on Evolution.  It was 15 multiple choice questions, mainly from released SOL tests.  One of my 4 students that I am focusing on has a very low reading level and has failed all tests in my class.  I was hoping that with the "open note" he would at least take a little more initiative, but he still "finished" in literally 5 minutes!  How do I work with that!?  He passed all his SOLs last year (we aren't sure how), so that makes him ineligible for any extra services. I am just still at a loss as to what I can do to help him out without changing everything to better fit him.

We also recently did a project for Charles Darwin.  The students worked with a partner to construct a children's book about Charles Darwin and his Theory of Evolution.  Another of my 4 focus students was paired with a higher level student and he did AMAZING!  The other student led him in the right direction and showed him how to do something and then let him do it.  They worked really well together and I was ecstatic to see this student concentrating on what he was doing and so excited today when he found out they got a 100 on the project.  It's times like this that remind me of why I love my job!

1 comment:

  1. This may be more work for you, but have you thought about giving this student one question or just a handful of questions at a time and making sure he answers those questions before allowing him to move on to other questions? My thinking is that he may work better with a smaller task that he feels he can acconplish. I don't think 15 question is a lot, but maybe to him it is. Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete