Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Using Technology

It seems that students tend to try a little harder and work harder when they are able to use technology. Last time we used the computers for research, two of my four students decided to partner up (I allowed them to choose partners) and did very poorly on the assignment. I have decided to try technology again, this time using the iPads. I will group students in groups of four based on ability level. I want to allow lower level students to work with upper level students in hopes that this will give them the opportunity to ask questions of their peers and work a little harder to show their peers that they are capable. Students will answer certain questions about a new concept that we will be discussing. Students will make a presentation for the rest of the class in order to teach their peers about the concept they were researching. The presentation will be constructed in an app called Show Me which is an interactive whiteboard. I am curious to see if my unmotivated students will work a little more when placed with upper level students or if they will just sit back and let their peers do all the work.

4 comments:

  1. I am very interested in hearing about your results. I typically find that the lower level students sit back in my class. I have noticed that this is sometimes caused my the high level students wanting all the control and not having faith in certain classmates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They did FANTASTIC with the iPads. Worked really hard and worked together! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Do you think it was because they were using technology? I find that students work harder and do a better job with technology. Were all four students able to use/see the iPad together?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it was definitely because they were using technology, and the iPads especially. Many of my studnets aren't exposed to iPads yet, so they enjoy using them in class. So far they have been excellent about sharing the iPad within their group and giving everyone time to use it. :)

    ReplyDelete